Friday, August 29, 2008

Ruined two Pieces of Jewelry today :(


I am always trying to learn something new, especially working with PMC Clay.
I few weeks ago, I had ordered 4 diachronic cabs that I was going to make the into wonderful pendants.
I formed the pendants and secured the cabs (so I thought)as they clay was moist and let sit for 2 days, until totally dry. Fired and began to burnish the silver.
Well, both cabs came loose and fell out. But me, being the optimist, took the opportunity to add a patina to the silver and place the into the tumbler for a couple of hours to, at least get that end worked out.
So..my bright idea..I'll use jeweler's glue to secure the cabs. I let sit for a couple of days and all looked great...until I tried to go further and incorporate into a necklace. Don't both pop out again!
The glue left a hard, glass like finish to the spot the cabs would have sat...there was no getting it out. I even tried torching but that didn't work either.
I couldn't even reapply the PMC to secure the cab again, since the foreign glue substance would interfere and more than likely, not fuse to the previously fired silver.
So, I am out about $50 worth of silver and cabs. Really bummed.
I think I will have to try next time, putting a thin line of pmc around the cab, much like a bevel cup, to secure.
They were so pretty too!
Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Twitter
Facebook

comments

5 Responses to "Ruined two Pieces of Jewelry today :("
  1. Designing Hilary said...
    August 29, 2008 at 8:15 AM

    OUCH!!! Guess it's a good thing I haven't jumped into PMC! I'd be ruining a lot.

    Hopefully you'll think of some way to recycle these.

  2. Silver Canyons said...
    August 29, 2008 at 1:48 PM

    If I could I would...I just threw them in the trash. The more Iooked at them, the more angry I got!
    You should try it... it's really alot of fun to create with this stuff! Downside: It just happened to be a bit expensive.

  3. Anonymous said...
    August 31, 2008 at 4:20 AM

    Yikes sounds like a depressing set of circumstances... Are there any jewelry restorers in your area?

  4. Petula said...
    September 4, 2008 at 2:28 PM

    Oh so sorry to hear about that. Besides the lost time is the lost $50/materials. I'm sure you'll figure it out next time.

  5. Silver Canyons said...
    September 4, 2008 at 9:47 PM

    haha! yes Petula, I wouldn't be making that kind of mistake again!

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates