I am always trying to learn something new, especially working with PMC Clay.
I few weeks ago, I had ordered 4 diachronic cabs that I was going to make the into wonderful pendants.
I formed the pendants and secured the cabs (so I thought)as they clay was moist and let sit for 2 days, until totally dry. Fired and began to burnish the silver.
Well, both cabs came loose and fell out. But me, being the optimist, took the opportunity to add a patina to the silver and place the into the tumbler for a couple of hours to, at least get that end worked out.
So..my bright idea..I'll use jeweler's glue to secure the cabs. I let sit for a couple of days and all looked great...until I tried to go further and incorporate into a necklace. Don't both pop out again!
The glue left a hard, glass like finish to the spot the cabs would have sat...there was no getting it out. I even tried torching but that didn't work either.
I couldn't even reapply the PMC to secure the cab again, since the foreign glue substance would interfere and more than likely, not fuse to the previously fired silver.
So, I am out about $50 worth of silver and cabs. Really bummed.
I think I will have to try next time, putting a thin line of pmc around the cab, much like a bevel cup, to secure.
They were so pretty too!