Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Applying Gold Accents to PMC Clay


I promised to give some tips, from my experimentation of applying a gold appliqué to your precious metal clay pieces.
I use Aura 22 and have had great success with it.

The most important thing I can tell you is, once you pieces has been fired, do not, I repeat.. do not burnish or tumble!
I allow the pieces to cool down and am careful not to touch the areas that are to be painted with gold, as oils and dirt from your fingers can intefere with the adhesion.

If you find that the gold has hardened in the jar, place a couple of drops of media included and stir with a toothpick until the consistancy is simular to the thickness of nail polish. Lightly place a thin, even layer of paint, using a small paintbrush and allow to dry. I repeat this process 3 times. You can apply two layers, instead of three, but I happened to like the bright color using 3 coats.

I have read tips that prior to applying gold accent paint, to place a thin layer of silver overlay on your fired piece.I suppose to help with adhesion. I haven't tried this yet, as I have not had an issue with the gold not staying in place.


After you have allowed the coats to dry, place your piece back in your kiln, and refire for approximately 6-7 minutes at 1600 degrees.
Once your pieces has cooled down, burnish and tumble. You will be amazed at the beautiful results!

To see the results, view my post about my Silver and Gold Teardrop Earrings
Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Twitter
Facebook

comments

5 Responses to "Applying Gold Accents to PMC Clay"
  1. Anna said...
    September 4, 2008 at 6:44 PM

    I really want to try my hand at PMC and polymer clay, but I'm almost afraid I'd become as addicted to it as I am to seed beads! :)

    By the way, I've linked you!

  2. Anonymous said...
    September 4, 2008 at 8:53 PM

    I am so glad I found your site thru entrecarde... I have been looking for supplies to make photo jewelry on eBay and there is a link right here on top!

  3. Silver Canyons said...
    September 4, 2008 at 9:43 PM

    glad I could help Michelle :):)

  4. Marlaine said...
    September 6, 2008 at 8:08 PM

    I really must get around to trying PMC. I've seen so many beautiful things with it! Thanks for the tips on the gold.

  5. Silver Canyons said...
    September 7, 2008 at 10:50 PM

    you're entirely welcome :):)

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates